POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: POV RAY 2D : Re: POV RAY 2D Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV RAY 2D
From: Captain Jack
Date: 9 Nov 2009 09:40:27
Message: <4af829db$1@news.povray.org>
"Dudo" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4af8133e717d7fb2130ab9690@news.povray.org...
> I'd like to ask, if it is possible to be using the POVRAY also for
> rendering 2D
> pictures, such like 2D charts and color maps. Could you give me some
> recommendation, if the POVRAY is useful for such the purpose o if there
> exists
> an alternative program for 2D which you know..
>
> Thanks a lot,

I use it as a quick way to do function plots all the time. I set up an
orthographic camera on the Z axis pointing at the origin, make a couple of
thin cylinders for the X and Y axes, then I loop through some X values to do
the plot. For each point, I draw a sphere at the point, and a cylinder back
to the previous point to give a more or less smooth curve.

There might be better software for this purpose, but POV is just so darn
flexible and solid that it's too much trouble to pick up other software.

--
Jack