POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Nov 2009 04:35:40
Message: <4af7e26c$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 09:27:31 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> There is - but not for sane prices, no.
>>
>> A 1.5 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda drive costs a mere $95 from newegg.
>>
>> I guess that arguably is an insane price - insanely cheap.
>
> I don't know, man... Backing up spinning disk to... spinning disk? Is
> that such a sensible idea?

Mirroring (or duplexing) provides a pretty good degree of data protection
because the odds of both drives dying at the same time are pretty small.

It's been used for a very long time.

But I also back up directories from several systems to other systems
using rsync.

> (Then again, I don't have any hard data on the reliability of HD verses
> tape verses CD. I've heard that spinning HD up and down wears it out
> faster than keeping it spinning, but I don't know if that's true...)

Well, I didn't say anything about shutting the drive down.

Jim