POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 9 Nov 2009 02:15:27
Message: <4af7c18e@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Tim Cook wrote:
>> Will be *most* put out if the drive itself is dead,
>
> Eventually you'll learn to buy two. :-)

Well said - guess there isn't a convenient modality for backing up 500GB of
data?

I've lost count how many times I've had to fall back to backups. Saved my
ass quite a few times...!

Greatest one was when I was working in a dispatching center for fire /
emergency. We had tens of thousands of patient and incident records on file
(in a custom developed Unix-based system) and up to five years or more
after the fact, firemen and paramedics could be called to testify in a
court about a shooting / rape / assault / fatal house fire, etc. Then they
would want records - accurate records - of times, who attended, what was
logged, etc. Failure to produce such could land you in contempt of court.

No less than FIVE times during my seven year career there, -I- could have
conceivably gone to jail for NOT having the records the court demanded - if
I had NOT made backups...!

But then, then volumes weren't at your level. Good luck in getting the drive
working!
--
Stefan Viljoen