POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An armed society is a safe society : Re: An armed society is a safe society Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An armed society is a safe society
From: somebody
Date: 6 Nov 2009 20:58:38
Message: <4af4d44e@news.povray.org>
"Stefan Viljoen" <spa### [at] polardcom> wrote in message
> somebody wrote:

> > When someone goes on a rampage in a civilian setting, gun nuts are quick
> > to point out that had the other people had guns as well, the shooter
would
> > have been stopped before he could inflict any serious damage. I wonder
> > about their angle now.

> Isn't this exactly what happened? I. e. an armed military policeman shot
> back and stopped the guy?

I don't have any statistics, but death toll of 13 seems rather on the high
end for shooting rampages, and I much doubt he'd be killing 50-60 people had
he not been shot. Besides, well, it *was* police.

There was another such shooting in USA today:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/06/orlando.shootings/index.html

resulting in only one death, in spite of there being no armed citizens (nor
police, not that that's the point) to stop him during the act.