POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An armed society is a safe society : Re: An armed society is a safe society Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An armed society is a safe society
From: clipka
Date: 6 Nov 2009 17:06:14
Message: <4af49dd6$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:

>> then the first reaction to someone drawing one is probably "gee,
>> what's happening here? Is there any danger? Damn, this is serious -
>> he's having a real firefight with those guys over there! Man, if only
>> I knew who's the good guys here!", rather than "*OH SHIT, HE'S GOT A
>> GUN! HE'S GONNA KILL US ALL! DUCK AND COVER! RUN! GET THE FREAKIN'
>> HELL OUTTA HERE!!*"
>
> Uh, on a military base? I think not.
>
> You think if a cop pulls you over for a traffic stop and you pick up a
> firearm, he's not going to draw on you, but rather run away? No.

The point was not really about what /exactly/ to do, but about the
problem of properly assessing a fucked-up situation. A cop pulling
someone over knows for sure who's the good one. A soldier witnessing
some other "friendlies" shooting each other probably doesn't - nor does
someone witnessing random people shooting each other at a mall. The
difference is that a soldier is probably trained to assess a situation.
That gun-crazy Texan happening to sit next desk at the local steakhouse
likely isn't.