POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An armed society is a safe society : Re: An armed society is a safe society Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An armed society is a safe society
From: clipka
Date: 6 Nov 2009 16:34:32
Message: <4af49668@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen schrieb:

> You are correct, but my opinion about it differs, methinks. How do you
> define a "working" law enforcement system? And when does the law
> enforcement system get itself a "conscience" when it comes to unjust laws
> that it must enforce? The police is the servant of the state - it does what
> the state tells it to do. There is NO guarantee that the state will always
> have your rights and safety as its primary concern.

You don't have to tell /me/ - I'm a German. But two six-shooters at our
sides per person and a semi-automatic gun in each closet wouldn't have
stopped that government. Because my grandparents let him in through the
back door. Or maybe even the front door. With a hello and a greeting and
a fresh coffee and cake.

Experience in Germany tells me that guns don't prevent governmental
oppression.

Being prepared to act with civil courage may, and you don't need
ordnance to fire /that/.

Heck, our East German brothers even got /rid/ of an oppressive
government without firing a single round.

 > A state wants to
> safeguard and perpetuate its power (look at Communist Russia, for example,
> or Robert Mugabe's government of Zimbabwe). Interestingly, one of the very
> first things Mr. Mugabe did when coming to power in 1980 was to make all
> private firearms illegal. Once the citizenry was disarmed, he got Korean
> training and assistance for his Army, and then proceeded to murder tens of
> thousands of members of the Zimbabwean Matabele tribe (Mugabe is a Shona).

Did I mention before that the European/American and African situation
cannot be compared?

Everyone here /knew/ that Zimbabwe was far from being stable. There's
not /too/ many hints about any instabilities in the US, Germany or
whatever. Even Northern Ireland has become comparatively quiet.

> Surely no country on earth has a policeman for every citizen, every hour of
> every day? That is where a citizen must take responsibility for himself. I
> find it completely anathema to completely depend for physical security on
> the state - you MUST take -personal- responsibility for yourself too,
> BEYOND what the state can, or will do for you.

The question is, do you need an automatic rifle for that, or will the
baseball bat or the large kitchen knife do?

> Granted, but then again Germany is a highly-advanced, first world country,
> with world-class social services, extremely low unemployment (compared to
> SA, for example), an very homogenuous population both racially and
> culturally,  and a deeply entrenched respect for human life. I can
> understand how, in such a society, it is not necessary to have firearms and
> be ready to defend yourself and your family. But as you say above, a
> comparison is difficult to make.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I don't believe in the German
government going all oppressive anytime soon, at least no more than I'd
believe in the society going all nuts and falling into a routine of
daily anarchy.

At the same time I can quite well imagine that the situation in many
African countries may be unstable enough to expect the next corrupt
government to take over with just a few months', weeks' or even days'
notice. And yes, personal firearms to defend against an unjust
government don't sound like a bad idea /there/.

> Again, it begs the question - will Germany ALWAYS stay like that?

History especially of Germany teaches the lesson that a permanent "good"
government cannot be guaranteed, but it also teaches that a bad one may
well come as something nobody will point their gun at even if they have
one - and also that there are other ways to effectively oppose a bad
government even without any other weapons than pure courage.

 > Those old geezers who wrote the US constitution decided that
> each free man should have that same capability on a personal level, and
> thus should have weapons.

They, too, lived in different times. They had just rid themselves not of
a corrupt government, but of foreign rule; and it was civilians that had
formed the army for that fight. Granting every civilian the right to
bear arms meant being prepared for a potential return of the Brits.

US America isn't going to fight hard against foreign occupation anytime
soon I guess.

> Good point. You are suggesting (if I read in context with your statements
> below) that ethnic unity was a factor? The "common enemy" idea which Hitler
> used to such good effect?

Yes, precisely.

> Ok, that makes sense. Still, for me, it does NOT make sense to say that the
> rational, 99% segment of your society who are law-abiding, should be FORCED
> (as you are in Germany) to -completely- depend on a state funded and run
> police force for their safety, IF such a person decides to target them in a
> killing or shooting spree.

The German law doesn't forbid me to grab whatever weapon I can get hold
of if there's someone endangering my life - or that of others, for that
matter. Whether it is a baseball bat, a kitchen knife, or even a dead
policeman's firearm (IANAL, but I guess the latter is covered as well).
It is sure to come with a lot of legal trouble, but I /do/ have the
right to employ any adequate means for self-defense.

Still, I think it makes sense to limit items designed for the sole
purpose of killing or severely injuring other people to a subset of the
people, who are specially trained to use those tools adequately and
efficiently, and to quickly assess how much force will be adequate to a
particular situation.

> As I referred to in my Mark Steyn vignette to Invisible, in the EU mostly
> you might WANT to have a weapon, but you CANNOT. In the United States you
> mostly can, as many as you might want, even automatic ones in certain
> states or principalities. This, to me at least, is being "more free" than
> if you are a citizen of the EU, and it is decided FOR you what you may, and
> may not own, or do.

Following the road to the very end, that definition of freedom leads to
anarchy as seen in South Africa (and probably worse). Well, it may not
be /legal/ there to do whatever you want, but what the heck, you /can/
do it if you have a gun...

Not that I argue against going even a single step along that road, but
the point I want to make is that there must be /some/ limitation to
freedom as defined this way.

If the government tries to restrict my freedom of shooting my neighbor
in the head... well, is that a bad thing for a government to do?

Again, I don't intend to liken shooting my neighbor to merely possessing
a firearm; my sole point is that there must be a limit, and I personally
think there is no clear-cut answer to whether this does or does not
include the individual right to bear firearms.

>> In a society where the blacks are the bad guys, a person under similar
>> diffuse psychological pressure will blame it on the blacks, and have at
>> them. And nobody will bother because all he killed were some of "the
>> others". And he may not even go as far as to kill, because he can just
>> kick a black ass anytime he feels like letting off steam, and all his
>> fellows will pat him on the back for it.
>
> This is blatantly not true. Sure this did happen, but it is just like the
> criminal / law abiding element comparison, or the "any guy who likes guns
> is crazy, and a potential murderer" argument referred to in my other posts.

I did exaggerate there of course, to outline the principle that may have
been at work even without becoming that obvious in practice.

How many highschool shootings do occur per year in the US? How many more
people live there as compared to South Africa? Translated to South
Africa, the number of similar shootings would have been rather small I
guess.

It would suffice that all those blown-fuse people rather preferred to
shoot black people than white people. And I wouldn't be surprised if the
South African media would have made not much fuss of it. After all, why
should the whites bother about the blacks?