POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An armed society is a safe society : Re: An armed society is a safe society Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An armed society is a safe society
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 6 Nov 2009 15:13:33
Message: <4af4836d$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> then the first reaction to someone drawing one is probably "gee,
>> what's happening here? Is there any danger? Damn, this is serious -
>> he's having a real firefight with those guys over there! Man, if only
>> I knew who's the good guys here!", rather than "*OH SHIT, HE'S GOT A
>> GUN! HE'S GONNA KILL US ALL! DUCK AND COVER! RUN! GET THE FREAKIN'
>> HELL OUTTA HERE!!*"
>
> Uh, on a military base? I think not.
>
> You think if a cop pulls you over for a traffic stop and you pick up a
> firearm, he's not going to draw on you, but rather run away? No.

If a cop pulls you over and you pull a gun, chances are that you are not
in the same uniform as the cop.

>> Which is probably just why that guy had time to kill 13 people before
>> anyone came to wits, identified him as an aggressor, and managed to
>> take him out.
>
> No, I'm pretty sure they teach soldiers how to shoot someone who is
> killing people in the same color uniform. If he wasn't shot immediately,
> I'm pretty sure it wasn't because it was "OH SHIT, HE HAS A GUN!"
>
> I mean, what army could possibly be the least effective if its tactics
> is to shit themselves when someone shoots at them?

The problem, for the average soldier who had a loaded gun, was which guy
should they take down; the one firing, or the one being shot at? What
was the situation, maybe the guy with the gun was another sentry or
guard who got their first.

This wasn't a case of someone wandering on to a base without security
catching them. He worked there, he was probably authorized to carry a
gun on to the base if not carry it around with him. So the first guard
on the scene sees someone he works with firing at someone else he works
with, and may have had no clue which one was the bad guy. And if he
opened fire, would the next guard to come along mistake him for the bad
guy as well?