POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most cryptic SMS ever : Re: Most cryptic SMS ever Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most cryptic SMS ever
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Nov 2009 13:01:01
Message: <4af4645d$1@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:
> Amazing! So in the US this is done too? I'm assuming though you live in some
> kind of gated community, not on a public, municipal plot?

Correct.

The way it works is, the builder buys a big plot of land. (400+ houses here,
for example.) They attach rules to a deed saying how the property that isn't
private is managed - like, everyone pays the same amount per household for
maintenance of the street lights, who counts votes to see who runs the
business bits, how investment of payments are handled before they're spent,
when the fees get to go up, etc. Then when you buy the house, it's part of
the deed to the house that you follow those rules. This lets the builder
spend several years building and selling the houses without the fear that by
the time he finishes building the last 100 houses the first 100 houses
hasn't turned the neighborhood into a slum.

The government passes laws saying what kinds of rules you're allowed to
enforce. You're not allowed to prohibit satellite dishes, you can't control
how many people live in any given house, votes and memberships have to be
done in particular ways, stuff like that.

But we have the same sort of rules you get from any local government. You
have to ask if you want to paint your house a color that's not already in
the neighborhood. You have to have at least a certain number of trees out
front. You don't get to park overnight in the street without reason X or Y
or Z. You can't park commercial vehicles in the street unless they're
working for you at the time (so, no parking your own wood chipper in the
street). Holiday decorations have to come down within a couple weeks of the
holiday being over. Stuff like that. All intended to make the neighborhood
look nicer, all pretty easy to follow if you intended to follow them when
you bought the property. You can do anything you want with the inside of the
house.

Other neighborhoods have different, stricter and messier rules. But you know
that when you buy the house, so don't buy the house if you don't like those
rules.

Of course there's all kinds of other building codes you have to follow too,
from the actual government(s). You can't put wiring in the walls whose
insulation turns into toxic fumes during a fire. You have to have an
electric socket that shuts off when you get electrocuted if you install one
near a sink or tub. Stuff like that. Some municipalities also control how
you can put up fences, whether you have to have a sidewalk, and things like
that, altho I expect that's enforced much less because nobody in the
government really cares unless a neighbor complains. (For example, my
parents have been in their house 50+ years. Nobody cares if the fence they
have is the right type or is too close to the border of their property.)

Welcome to civilization. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)