POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An armed society is a safe society : Re: An armed society is a safe society Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An armed society is a safe society
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Nov 2009 12:27:01
Message: <4af45c65@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> In "Wild West" times, the situation was possibly somewhat similar in the
> US. Nowadays, they appear to have a working law enforcement system,
> which should reduce the need for personal firearms. (After all, that's
> exactly their job, isn't it?)

In Wild West times, the USA had a working law enforcement system. The
citizens were the law enforcement when firearms were needed. Look up
"Posse". :-)

And yes, the need for personal firearms is reduced. It's rather rare to see
someone blatantly wearing a firearm, and I'd suspect most people don't even
carry them concealed.

> Here in Germany, we live quite safe, despite(?) private gun ownership
> being  subject to severe restrictions, and being far from common.

I think it's a culture thing. First you have to make it safe even when
firearms are around. Then you can start removing the firearms.

> But is the US such a country?

I'd expect so. Too many people already have firearms here.

> American society does not have such a common enemy,

We're working on it!  Watch out, towel-heads!  ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)