POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An armed society is a safe society : Re: An armed society is a safe society Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An armed society is a safe society
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Nov 2009 12:05:32
Message: <4af4575c@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:
> He merely replied "In Texas people want guns, and they CAN get
> them. Texans will ALWAYS be free."

I have a friend who was at a business meeting over dinner in France. He
wanted some ice tea. The waiter doesn't understand. "Tea, cold, with ice in
it."  "We don't have that."   "Well, bring me a pot of tea and a glass of
ice."  "What do you want in the ice?"  "Nothing."  "We don't do that."

At that point, his host muttered something in french to the waiter, who ran
off, brought ice tea, and in general acted like my friend was royalty the
rest of the night.

The friend asked "What did you say to him?"

The host said "My guest here is American. You should do what he asks, as he
*may* have a gun!"

  * * * *

I was also amused to be watching a cop show with french subtitles, and the
one cop says "who's that?"  The other cop says "A big name in the organized
crime department. A real gang-buster."  And the subtitles said
   Un vrai cowboy.

I realized that the stereotype other countries have of Americans probably is
close to the Wild West.  It never hit me how often someone talks about gun
ownership in modern america like we're all walking down dusty streets with
guns on our hips.

> and in the back of the Sierra they had 12 gauge shotguns,

Cops here usually have a Glock 9mm semi-automatic, a backup gun (like a
small revolver in a leg holster or something), and a shotgun in the trunk of
the car. Lots of paperwork if you actually take one out of the holster, in
theory.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)