POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An armed society is a safe society : Re: An armed society is a safe society Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:53:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An armed society is a safe society
From: clipka
Date: 6 Nov 2009 11:04:07
Message: <4af448f7$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD schrieb:
> On 11/6/2009 7:01 AM, somebody wrote:
>> When someone goes on a rampage in a civilian setting, gun nuts are
>> quick to
>> point out that had the other people had guns as well, the shooter
>> would have
>> been stopped before he could inflict any serious damage. I wonder about
>> their angle now.
>
> Exactly.
>
> And, since the death toll was fairly similar to previous attacks, one
> might believe that the effects of large numbers of guns on either side
> are in effect canceling each other out. So, what's the difference? The
> gun companies are getting richer.

Yes, I think this case pretty much makes a point.

If the mere /presence/ of guns - especially the presence of /big/ guns
(which I guess the rifle industry doesn't get tired to emphasize) -
would be any help in stopping a gun-wielding blown-fuse berserker's amok
run, then that guy should have been downed in seconds flat.

If /everyone/ is carrying a gun around, then the first reaction to
someone drawing one is probably "gee, what's happening here? Is there
any danger? Damn, this is serious - he's having a real firefight with
those guys over there! Man, if only I knew who's the good guys here!",
rather than "*OH SHIT, HE'S GOT A GUN! HE'S GONNA KILL US ALL! DUCK AND
COVER! RUN! GET THE FREAKIN' HELL OUTTA HERE!!*"

Which is probably just why that guy had time to kill 13 people before
anyone came to wits, identified him as an aggressor, and managed to take
him out.