POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Win help editors : Re: Win help editors Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win help editors
From: clipka
Date: 6 Nov 2009 09:38:10
Message: <4af434d2@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:

> For viewing stuff on-screen, PDF isn't such a hot choice. HTML has the
> advantage that the text can be reflowed to any screen resolution and
> window size. It's specifically designed for on-screen display.

*Designed* for on-screen display? Well, I'd rather say it is a case of
evolution rather than intelligent design :-P

Anyway, I see the reformatting as a disadvantage. PDF does give more
control over how the information is presented, which can help the help
author to make the text formatting more consistent as well as avoid some
layout mishaps, which in turn allows the reader to grasp the information
more easily.

I'd say HTML is a great tool for a bunch of semi-related and inherently
unordered but heavily interlinked pages (I'd say Wikipedia is /the/
killer application for HTML, and actually that's /exactly/ what HTML was
originally invented for), but a poor tool for a coherent and inherently
ordered set of pages like a software documentation.