POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An armed society is a safe society : Re: An armed society is a safe society Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An armed society is a safe society
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Nov 2009 08:59:20
Message: <4af42bb8$1@news.povray.org>
>> It seems we agree on something.
>
> Tee hee hee! Well at least we're having a reasonably civilized discourse. If
> this was Africa I'd have long since burned down your house, castrated you
> and then eaten your granny.

[Insert joke here about burrying meat and eating it once it's rotten.]

>>> criminals are by definition NOT law
>>> abiding... so would making a law against firearm ownership disarm the
>>> criminals?
>> Because if guns are illegal, it makes it that much harder to get hold of
>> them. Not impossible, surely, but very much harder.
>
> You're right of course, but only partially I think. That's the whole
> problem - this "quarantine" paradigm cannot be guaranteed. There's no
> difference as regards procurement between guns and drugs. If you make
> something illegal but people still want it, sales and procurement of said
> items merely moves underground, and turns something which earns tax for you
> (all those gun-related sales and services that were taxed here, all the
> thousands of tax-paying people who lost their jobs when the new law came
> into effect and made possesion virtual impossible) into more work for your
> already overloaded, desperately corrupt police force.

If your police force is corrupt, then yeah, you probably need guns...

I guess the key is to not have a corrupt police force.

It's worth remembering that firing a gun makes a hell of a lot of noise,
and it likely to attract attention to you real quickly.

>> London is the capital city of the entire country, and since 9/11 and so
>> forth the government has gone all paranoid about there being terrorists
>> absolutely everywhere. Anybody who looks Islamic could be a terrorist.
>> (Because, obviously, only Islamic people are evil. Right? ...And then
>> they wonder why these guys want to kill us. :-P )
>
> Haha well put! No, not only Islamic people are evil of course, it is unfair
> and oversimplified to state as such. Just like stating that anybody who
> likes firearms or likes owning and shooting with them is a "gun nut", a
> severe danger to society and can't wait to shoot the neighbours' little 3
> year old girl.

I don't think all people who want guns are automatically crazy.
(Although I think plenty of crazy people want to own guns.) I just don't
think owning a gun should be necessary.