POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : IRTC Status : Re: IRTC Status Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:35:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC Status
From: David Buck
Date: 5 Nov 2009 19:04:42
Message: <4af3681a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> In irtc.general David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
>> The last round exposed a serious bug in the voting process.  As many of
>> you noticed, comments were clipped after the first line. I had put in
>> measures to make sure that the votes were all recorded along with the
>> comments.  A combination of problems conspired to lose the original
>> comments.
>
>   Doesn't the http server store logs somewhere?
>
>>         2) Delete the comments completely for that round
>
>   I don't remember my comments anymore, so please delete at least mine.
> I don't want crippled versions of them floating around.

It's the server logs that went wrong.  The logs were written out with
the full text of the comments written into the file but with CR/LF's.
When they were read back in after the restart, it only read up to the
first CR and missed the rest.  A separate bug got log numbers mixed up
and ended up over-writing the log files with the truncated ones.

David