POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Titles : Re: Titles Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Titles
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Nov 2009 11:08:52
Message: <4af2f894$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Invisible schrieb:
>
>> That's one hell of a long title, don't you think?
>>
>> Today a title is usually something like "The Day After Tomorrow" or
>> "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Back then, it appears that the "title" was
>> the entire abstract! o_O
>
> Looks to me more like the concept of "book title" did not yet exist at
> that time.

Yes. That's why even modern books (at least hardback) tend to have a blank
page before the title page. It was to protect the paper in the store until
you picked out the binding you wanted on the book. I.e., books were sold as
a stack of paper, and you picked the binding separately, and they put the
book together for you.  That's why "you can't judge a book by its cover",
even tho obviously nowadays that's exactly how you judge a book you're going
to buy in a store.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)