POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most cryptic SMS ever : Re: Most cryptic SMS ever Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most cryptic SMS ever
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Nov 2009 10:53:30
Message: <4af2f4fa@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:
> Hmm yeah. But that's the US - out here they don't do that at all - they just
> send whatever you want, provided you have enough SMS credit left.

This is a commercial account I'm talking about. If you're just talking about
sending an SMS from a cell phone over the air, they don't monitor it all
that closely.

>> Before you can send an SMS via a shortcode (rather than thru a phone), you
>> have to tell them exactly what will be in each SMS, as well as what will
>> be on any web sites you run, down to the punctuation and spacing. If
>> someone sends you the word "STOP" and you send them any messages after,
>> your account turns off.
>
> Interesting! Is this law or just a particular company's policy?

Every company's policy, but not AFAIK law. Some sort of association rules,
since any carrier can SMS to any other carrier.

> I've always thought an advantage of living in the third world is the lack of
> regulation (or lack of knowledge, money, personnel, time, etc.) to enforce
> much of existing regulations. Doing certain stuff is easier, but then
> conversely you lack protection and safeties that first world citizens take
> for granted.

Yes, and the problem is that it's far easier to abuse than it is to do
something good that isn't permitted under regulation. :-) Thus the reason we
think of "third-world countries" as worse places to live in general.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)