POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while : Re: The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttalsIhave seen in a while Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttalsIhave seen in a while
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Nov 2009 10:51:10
Message: <4af2f46e$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> Sure there is - as far as I am concerned. But that only proves that the
> universe does not cater to my needs or whims.

Well, yes, but that's the point being made, yes?

>>> First, imagining is not the same as realizing
>> Omnipotence.
>
> Not even. I mentioned earlier at one point; I can imagine a man that's 400
> billion light years tall.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

> Doctors, medical researchers, airbag and seatbelt makers probably benefit.
> </cynical, tongue in cheek>

I imagine almost all doctors would be quite happy if everyone was suddenly
totally healthy.

>> Maybe there are a few "insane" people who want to die of polio. However,
> it
>> would seem to be a better good to cure them of their insanity than to give
>> them polio.
>
> You'd be taking away some groundbreaking art from humanity's collective
> should all insanity be cured.

That's why "insane" is in quotes.

> Now, what about the other side of things? In a perfect (limit of bettering)
> universe, it's not enough to eliminate evil or bad, but good needs to be
> maximized. Then the question becomes, is there a limit to good? How many
> Bach's should a truly benevolent God give to his people? One, ten, a
> million? I don't think any number is enough. For any perfection witheld from
> sentient beings by an omnipotent being is itself an evil act. That's after
> all, why one would think death is evil. In fact, an omnipotent god who fails
> to bestow omnipotence, omniscience and omni-anything to his creations is
> evil, is it not?

I would think so. But that's, after all, the point. :-)

> Hence the problem with imagination. It's easy to say that eliminating death
> and suffering would eliminate evil. But it's not death itself, lack of
> eternal life that's evil. That is, evil is in the lack of things, abilities.
> If you give me eternal life, I'll find ten things that I lack, ten faults I
> find with the universe. Give me those ten, and I'll come up with ten
> thousand. Hence "just don't let anybody suffer" does not look like a
> workable model to me. Much like a kid dreaming of a world where chocolate is
> the only food, or me "imagining" a 172 dimensional universe.

OK. I am pretty sure I don't know where this conversation went now.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)