POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Disturbing the peace : Re: Disturbing the peace Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disturbing the peace
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Nov 2009 17:20:29
Message: <4af1fe2d$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 14:17:21 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> never heard me raise my voice for any reason and were quite surprised.
>
> I was working in one cubicle farm a long time ago, back when CP/M was
> the rage. Every time you got a compilation error in your code, the
> compiler would print the error and bomb up without cleaning up, leaving
> a bunch of *.SCR scratch files around.
>
> One day, after this, on the "reference" machine, after much programming,
> I typed "DEL *.SRC" instead of "DEL *.SCR".  Since it took about 1.5
> seconds instead of the usual quarter second, I looked again at the
> command line again and very quietly said "Oh, shit."  About five people
> stuck their heads up over the partitions asking what's wrong, since
> nobody ever cursed.
>
> Fortunately, we had UNERASE already installed, and it took noticeably
> longer to delete all the files, so I knew right away I'd done it. After
> that, we changed the pascal source files to *.PAS :-)

It's always a surprise to coworkers when they see a behaviour that
they're unfamiliar with from an individual.  I used to work with a lady
(who has since retired) who commented along with one other (whom I still
work with) that they didn't think I had a mean bone in me.  They just
haven't seen me thoroughly pissed off - or ridden in a car with me
driving....I can be plenty nasty when the situation calls for it. :-)

Jim