POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most cryptic SMS ever : Re: Most cryptic SMS ever Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most cryptic SMS ever
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 4 Nov 2009 06:25:38
Message: <4af164b1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

>>> Can you send SMS from a computer?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> 1. How on earth do you do that?

Easy - almost every large cellphone service provider has some form of
web-based API you can use - we use clickatell.com's HTTP and FTP APIs for
web-based SMS transmissions via a custom PHP script.

> 2. Does any known malware actually exploit this fact?

It is possible, I suppose, but since there is no "SMS equivalent" for an
open SMTP relay, and SMSes usually cost $$$, it is not as easy as spamming
via email. Of course email costs time and resources (for somebody,
somewhere) just as SMS does, but usually the originator is paying real
money for the messaging - this limits spam. (Vs. email where you can
connect on port 25 to an open relay and spam for quite a bit, practically
for free, depending on your own bandwidth costs.)
--
Stefan Viljoen