POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trolltech doesn't know how amortized time works : Re: Trolltech doesn't know how amortized time works Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trolltech doesn't know how amortized time works
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Nov 2009 00:22:55
Message: <4aefbe2f$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> I think what I've liked about Qt is that I rarely find myself in a
> position where I *think* I know how to do something, but I'm wrong.

That's always a bonus, yes. The "one right way to do it" approach.

How do you make the background transparent? Not obvious. How do you get rid
of the mouse cursor? Several ways you could do that. The obvious way of
showing a single web page in an application needs extra levels of
complication it shouldn't. None of them are too hard to figure out, but none
of them were "right" on the first try.

How do you get the underlying DirectFB object? No good way. How do you get
the javascript interpreter pointer (i.e., the QScriptEngine)? No good way.
How do you pass extra CFLAGS recursively thru qmake? No idea. What keycodes
mean what to webkit? Can't tell. How do you add a plug-in without
recompiling? Not really clear.

I think a lot of the confusing stuff involves webkit, which is a
bag-on-the-side.  Otherwise it's really pretty straightforward.
Unfortunately for me, guess what I'm working with?

> I find that I generally *know* that I
> don't know how to do it.

It's still hard to know whether it's possible or not, sometimes.

But yeah, it's definitely high quality software. It's mostly just the
complexity (and the fact that I'm probably doing something relatively
unusual with it).

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)