POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while : Re: The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Nov 2009 00:07:22
Message: <4aefba8a@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> I'm rather claiming that the world/universe contains neither good, nor evil.
> All is in our minds.

Well, yes. But then that's ignoring the premise of what you're arguing against.

> Good point. But does that we can imagine Event Horizon mean that we can
> imagine anything and everything worse?

I think it's that because we can imagine something better, we know there's
unnecessary evil. What benefit is encephalitis? Do you really think there's
nothing bad in the world that you can't imagine the world being just as good
if it were missing?  You don't think a world without polio and smallpox is
better than a world with polio and smallpox?

> Necessity of evil is a theistic angle.

Right. And the article I posted explained why that is, in a way I'd not
heard it so elegantly put.

> However, I find it pretty much necessary that there will be things that
> sentient beings will find evil, for senses have to differentiate between
> inputs.

Sure. But that's not playing the game. :-) The game starts by assuming a
benevolent omnipotent being interested in whether there is good and evil in
the world. Simply disclaiming there is no such thing as evil is stepping
outside the system, which doesn't work with faithful people.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)