POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh, Mascot! : Re: Oh, Mascot! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh, Mascot!
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Nov 2009 13:55:17
Message: <4aef2b15$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I don't have a problem with "almost perfect" because it clearly means
> "close to perfect", but "almost exactly" somehow just doesn't work.

Well, something is either "perfect" or not. So "almost perfect" means "not
perfect."  It's just one of those absolutes.  But yes, even so, it means
"close to perfect."   "Almost exactly" means "close to exact" too. I guess
it's just what idioms you're used to.

I've heard people say they're a little bit pregnant or very pregnant too,
meaning in the very first stages of pregnancy or late in the pregnancy.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)