POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while : Re: The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Nov 2009 11:22:18
Message: <4aef073a$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> In fact, even as an atheist, I don't think the argument from evil is a
> particularly strong one. For evil is a sliding scale.

So you're making exactly the argument of "well, the world doesn't really

contain evil after all," which is exactly the phrasing I found interestin
in the article.

You're doing the Descartes bit here. "In order to know good, we must know

evil first."  I think the fact that we *can* imagine things like Event
Horizon means we have a pretty good idea of a sliding scale of evil. What
 if
the "bad smell objectors" imagined Event Horizon and our world too. Would
n't
they conclude the evil isn't all that bad?

> I would counter that what we perceive as evil are simply foul
> smells.

"bulk of the discussion then becomes a matter of theists arguing that
actually, the world’s pretty great, the evil things in it are per
fectly
justified and necessary,"

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)