POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... : Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... Server Time
8 Oct 2024 18:30:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP...
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Nov 2009 13:13:23
Message: <4aedcfc3$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> This is not actually the case. Well, at least with Windows. For some
> wacky reason, Windows handles "multiple" connections faster than a
> single one. Don't ask me why..

TCP Windowing perhaps. Lots of overhead in the kernel to turn around an ACK
perhaps.

> Oh, and that is one thing you can **not** do with FTP. FTP is blind to
> how much bandwidth you use. It will use as much as it can, sans what
> ever other processes are using.

Well, technically, that's the client, not the protocol itself.

The box I am programming for work, when you pick up the VOIP phone to make a
call, it throttles back all the HTTP and FTP connections it's proxying, and
then lets them go full speed again when you hang up.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)