POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... : Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... Server Time
8 Oct 2024 18:36:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP...
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Nov 2009 13:10:10
Message: <4aedcf02$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> The only difference between a regular http/ftp download and using
> bittorrent is that your bittorrent client will also upload the same data
> you are downloading to others.

There's lots of differences, really. But they all result in faster downloads
for everyone as well as more secure transmission. Every block is hashed, the
whole list of hashes is hashed, you're getting data from multiple people and
comparing it, and you can switch between providers of data to find the best
speed. Most clients will also let you schedule download and upload speeds
based on time of day, so you can go full-throttle from home while at work.

It's a pretty cool protocol, overall.

U'd suggest uTorrent for Windows machines.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)