POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... : Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 31 Oct 2009 17:05:41
Message: <4aeca6a5$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>
>>     If your Internet connection is slow, then perhaps it makes no
>> difference. On some servers, downloading an ISO is as slow as 100
>> KB/s. Using Bittorrent, I can max out my connection (over a MB/s).
>
> Well, in theory BT makes it easier to get good download rates. In
> reality, using BT is like downloading anything else; sometimes you get
> good speeds, and sometimes you don't. It depends what you're trying to
> download. (E.g., try obtaining some old version of Debian. You'll find
> it has, like, 3 seeds and no other clients, and it still takes weeks to
> download. Try getting the latest version and you should have no
> trouble.) It's not much different than the variable download rates
> single servers provide.
>
> PS. Why is it that all known motherboard manufacturers can't serve
> driver downloads at more than 2 KB/sec??

Yeah, that issue exists. They probably throttle the "older" files back a
lot, to save bandwidth for stuff that is more important. But.. I have
never met an FTP site, with rare exception, which had "new" files on it,
whose bandwidth didn't suck entirely, precisely because it was dividing
its bandwidth between 800 people, instead of between 789 people making
"brief" requests for new sources, and maybe 11 people actually
downloading 1-2 fragments that where not in the P2P cloud of other
bittorrent users yet. And, those 11 people don't stay in that state, if
there is a significant number of downloaders, for more than 30 seconds.
The only time you get bad results is, as you say, when the only source
is the tracker, which normally doesn't "need" high bandwidth, or all the
people connected to you are guys with dialup, because they are the only
ones that can't get the file(s) (besides you), from a faster source, and
have been trying to get them for the last 4 months. lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();