POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... : Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP...
From: Warp
Date: 31 Oct 2009 09:29:39
Message: <4aec3bc3@news.povray.org>
> Neeum Zawan schrieb:

> >     When it comes to downloading large files or ISO's, you're shooting
> > yourself in the foot. Bittorrent is the way to go.

> Why would that be? It appears to me that my local internet connection is
> usually the bottleneck, so it's unlikely to get me extra speed. And it's
> not like I daily download Debian distros; and my internet connection
> seems quite stable, too. It has been a while since some download crashed
> on me.

  Why are you so paranoid about the bittorrent protocol? There's nothing
to it. The only difference between a regular http/ftp download and using
bittorrent is that your bittorrent client will also upload the same data
you are downloading to others. A paranoid person might not be comfortable
with that last idea, but I can assure you that bittorrent has been used
for quite many years by millions of people, and it has presented no
problems regarding to privacy, computer security or the like. Using
bittorrent is in no way less secure than using a web browser (and in
fact, I'd say it's *more* secure, knowing how many security holes have
been found in all web browsers during their history).

  Even if downloading via bittorrent wouldn't give you any speed advantage,
it's not like you would lose something by using it. If a large file is
available primarily through bittorrent, then why not? I see no reason to
avoid it on principle. Just download it.

--
                                                          - Warp