POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... : Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... Server Time
8 Oct 2024 18:35:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP...
From: clipka
Date: 31 Oct 2009 08:22:00
Message: <4aec2be8$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan schrieb:

>     When it comes to downloading large files or ISO's, you're shooting
> yourself in the foot. Bittorrent is the way to go.

Why would that be? It appears to me that my local internet connection is
usually the bottleneck, so it's unlikely to get me extra speed. And it's
not like I daily download Debian distros; and my internet connection
seems quite stable, too. It has been a while since some download crashed
on me.

>>> BTW, I don't see the logic behind an offline Linux in favor of an
>>> online Windows if security is of concern... :)
>>
>> Because I haven't got the slightest clue about administering Linux, so I
>
>     And you're using Debian, of all distros?
>
>     <dodges tomato>

No tomato airborne.

The reason is, of course, the very same: Not having the slightest clue
about administering Linux obviously also includes not having the
slightest clue what distro may be easiest to administer. So the decision
for Debian was, of course, based on other considerations.

In fact, it was a comparatively simple one: It was the only distro for
an AMD64 system that I could easily get my hands on without paying a dime.

>> For instance, I guess my Linux system would be a big gaping security
>> hole if I connected it to the internet directly. I haven't knowingly
>> installed any firewall, but I did install Samba, activated XDMCP, and
>
>     Maybe it's a bad idea, but I just use the firewall in my router.

I don't have a router. All I have is a DSL modem, which can only connect
a single computer to the internet at any time (using PPPoE).