POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... : Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 30 Oct 2009 17:31:50
Message: <4aeb5b46$1@news.povray.org>
>> You're kind of paranoid, huh? ;)  You never really used bittorrent?
>
> No Sir; up until this day and hour, I have managed to stay /far/ away
> from it. So far that I have not much of an idea what it /really/
> actually is.

It's a way of obtaining files. Has the advantage that it's inherantly
resumable, and hypothetically allows the best possible download rates by
adaptively selecting where to download from. Has the notable
disadvantage that it requires open ports exposed to the Internet in
order to work properly, which can be problematic to configure.

>> BTW, I don't see the logic behind an offline Linux in favor of an
>> online Windows if security is of concern... :)
>
> Because I haven't got the slightest clue about administering Linux.

That's a pretty logical reason, actually...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/