POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... : Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP... Server Time
8 Oct 2024 14:55:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random griping about Debian "Lenny", Gnome gdb and XDMCP...
From: clipka
Date: 30 Oct 2009 17:25:46
Message: <4aeb59da@news.povray.org>
nemesis schrieb:

> You're kind of paranoid, huh? ;)  You never really used bittorrent?

No Sir; up until this day and hour, I have managed to stay /far/ away
from it. So far that I have not much of an idea what it /really/
actually is.

> BTW, I don't see the logic behind an offline Linux in favor of an online
> Windows if security is of concern... :)

Because I haven't got the slightest clue about administering Linux, so I
decided to not bother about regular updates, firewalls and what-have-you
on that box. All I wanted it for was running POV-Ray on a dedicated
machine, without having to pay for another Windows license, and with a
comfortable scripting environment.

Linux may have more /potential/ when it comes to achieving a
comparatively secure environment, but I really don't believe in systems
delivering lifetime security out of the box.

For instance, I guess my Linux system would be a big gaping security
hole if I connected it to the internet directly. I haven't knowingly
installed any firewall, but I did install Samba, activated XDMCP, and
set up a lighttpd-based HTTP server which may soon host a few CGI
scripts - all set up for ease of use in my own local network instead of
worrying about security. Because when usability issues arise, I'm not
proficient enough with the operating system to work around them /and/
avoid compromising security.

Windows, however, is the operating system I have been running for about
a decade by now, and working with it both in my profession and in
private life, and I imagine I have enough administrative experience to
have at least /some/ idea of the security implications of what I'm
doing. And besides, it's the machine that runs the OS and software I'm
familiar with and need for my daily work and/or hobby, which regularly
includes internet research, so that machine /must/ be hooked up to the
internet, while the Linux box doesn't need to.

>> Linux sucks.
>
> there you go!  Linux don't like you either. ;)

Apparently, yes :-)

Then again, I imagine I quite like Linux and Linux quite likes me - and
that it just gets its fits now and then because I don't spend enough
time with it... just like I get my occasional fits for exactly the same
reason :-)