POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random name statistics : Re: Random name statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random name statistics
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Oct 2009 13:12:57
Message: <4aeb1e99$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Is there a codified law in the United States which states that if
> parents have the "wrong" political opinion, decorate their home with
> the "wrong" symbols and name their children with the "wrong" names,
> it's ok to take the children away?

You can take them away for being "abusive" or "negligent."  But like all
squishy laws, this one looks like it's being abused.

You can also arrest someone for "disorderly conduct" or "being a public
nuisance." Those types of laws also get abused.

>   In a free, constitutional country you cannot be punished because of
> having the wrong political opinions or decorating your home with the
> wrong symbols. That's the whole point in freedom. When you start having
> Orwellian thought crimes (either de jure or, as seems to be in this case,
> de facto), you are eroding the very foundation of constitutional freedom
> of opinion.

Agreed.

>   If someone has nazi opinions and nazi symbols all over their home, does
> the polic go and take his children away? It seems that yes.

It could be just one over-enthusiastic asshole working in an
otherwise-valuable job. Just like one cop beating the crap out of someone
innocent doesn't mean cops should never use force to arrest a suspected
criminal.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)