POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More barcode fun : Re: More barcode fun Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More barcode fun
From: clipka
Date: 30 Oct 2009 11:02:03
Message: <4aeaffeb$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:
>>> 8. If you're using a 2D *camera* instead of a real laser barcode
>>> scanner, multiply all of the above issues by 7.
>>
>> Not really. Just pick a random straight line through the picture, and
>> pretend that's your laser beam.
>
> Except that a human wouldn't aim the laser beam at random, see? Also, as
> I understand it, lasers don't go out of focus...

A human wouldn't aim a camera at random either. And as for the focus
thing, just use an auto-focusing camera and you're there.

Of course, if you want to make the /most/ out of a camera-based device,
to actually unleash all the advantages a camera potentially has over a
laser-based device - now that's a totally different story...

... but in that case you'd use 2D barcodes anyway :-)

There are matrix barcodes out there that I'd expect to be particularly
easy to use in this sort of application, featuring "bull's eye"-like
patterns or the like to faciliate finding the center by basically doing
some simple frequency filtering on the image.