POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : geostationary weather pics to image_map ? : Re: geostationary weather pics to image_map ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: geostationary weather pics to image_map ?
From: Chris B
Date: 30 Oct 2009 09:50:13
Message: <4aeaef15@news.povray.org>
"tcgetattr" <tg### [at] getattrinvalid> wrote in message
> tcgetattr wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I've got a bunch of satellit pictures like this one
>> http://foo.buvette.org/trucs/nuages.jpeg and I want
>> use them to make an animation of the earth.
>>
>> How can I process this pics to make them usable as
>> an image_map ?
>
> I think that i need this sort of pictures :
> http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/BlueMarble/BlueMarble_monthlies.php

There are some immediate problems apparent with this that could make life a
little complicated. I'll just start throwing a couple of ideas in the air to
get things started:

The cloud image you have only covers a small part of the planet whereas the
BlueMarble images cover the whole planet, so, unless you have images from
other multiple geostationary positions (or unless it's not stationary) then
you can't cover the entire globe. If you do have other images then you have
the problem of mosaic'ing them together.

Mapping the cloud cover image precisely to the projection of the BlueMarble
images is likely to be tricky (if you need to do that). You may be able to
get something approximate by using your cloud images with a flat projection
onto a sphere and then using a spherical camera in the middle of the sphere
to generate an image that would approximately overlay the BlueMarble images.
If you want to overlay the clouds onto the BlueMarble images you could
probably achieve this with a single pass in POV-Ray by using a spherical
projection to project a BlueMarble image onto a slightly larger sphere that
would show up as being behind the cloud sphere when the camera is in the
middle of the two concentric spheres.

You could maybe use a filter on the image to  make the darker green parts
transparent so that you could overlay the image onto a BlueMarble image (if
you need to overlay the images). This could be done in an external graphics
editor (e.g. Photoshop). If you wish to add tranparency that POV-Ray can use
then you'll probably need to convert the cloud images into one of the
formats that the filter option on the image_map supports (e.g. png or gif).

Regards,
Chris B.