POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More barcode fun : Re: More barcode fun Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More barcode fun
From: Captain Jack
Date: 30 Oct 2009 09:37:33
Message: <4aeaec1d$1@news.povray.org>
news:4aeaea24@news.povray.org...
> I'm currently writing a small Haskell library for this. Currently it
> understands 2 of 5 standard and interleaved, code 128, and I'm currently
> implementing code 39. Of course, the library only handles converting
> characters into 1s and 0s and back again. In "real" barcode handling
> things are far more complex; bar thicknesses have to be within certain
> tollerances when printing, and scanning is a fairly sophisticated
> problem...

I've never tried to implement a scanning algorithm, but it looks like an
interesting challenge. Not much novelty in it, I s'pose, although there
might be some room to develop more sophisticated two dimensional bar code
scanning processes.

When I had to make my own code 39, I coded for a specific model of laser
printer at 300 dpi, and I translated the tolerances to integer values before
I made my translation table, then translated those into the graphics command
that drew filled rectangles on the printer. That restricted the size
variations I could do, but it kept me from having slight variations in size
due to rounding errors; mostly all that was so that I could get the software
done and out the door quickly.