POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More barcode fun : Re: More barcode fun Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More barcode fun
From: Captain Jack
Date: 30 Oct 2009 09:22:30
Message: <4aeae896$1@news.povray.org>
news:4aeabae6$1@news.povray.org...
> So check it out. I made a little chart showing the start and stop codes
> for various types of (1D) barcodes. Now I can tell which type of barcode
> I'm looking at.
>
> (Actually, so far I've yet to find anything with a barcode other than
> the four on the right. However, I'm told that packing cartons often use
> a varient of I25...)

In all of the programming projects I've ever done involving printing of bar
codes, I've only ever used those... mostly code 39, although I used 128 once
for making very small bar codes, and 2 of 5 for an PO system where the
vendor specs required that format.

In most cases, I've used some external tool, like a specialized bar code
printer, to generate the symbols. I did once (about 15 years ago) have to
write a program to generate code 39 on a laser printer by iterating the
rectangles myself. I had to copy the spacing out of a book, which was a
weekend well spent, let me tell you. :D