POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : geostationary weather pics to image_map ? : Re: geostationary weather pics to image_map ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: geostationary weather pics to image_map ?
From: Chris B
Date: 30 Oct 2009 09:14:37
Message: <4aeae6bd@news.povray.org>
"tcgetattr" <tg### [at] getattrinvalid> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I've got a bunch of satellit pictures like this one
> http://foo.buvette.org/trucs/nuages.jpeg and I want
> use them to make an animation of the earth.
>
> How can I process this pics to make them usable as
> an image_map ?
>
> Th.

POV-Ray supports jpeg as an image_map format, so strictly speaking you don't
need to process them at all to make them usable in POV-Ray. If you simply
wish to animate the image sequence and generate an mpeg then you don't
really even need to use POV-Ray. You can just use an mpeg compressor to
assemble the sequence. Indeed POV-Ray won't automatically assemble an
animation, it'll just create the individual frames, so you'll still need
software to assemble the sequence into an animation.

If you want to do something more sophisticated, then any advice will really
depend upon exactly what you want to do. If you want to do color correction,
then you may be able to use a color_map with the image. If you want to
project it onto a sphere and rotate the sphere, then you may need to
assemble a mosaic of images (which you probably won't have if the images are
from a geostationary satellite). If you want to overlay the clouds on a
terrain map or over a visible light spectrum image then you may need to
marry up the projections used (depending on the technical accuracy you are
hoping to achieve).

So more information on what you are trying to achieve is needed to be able
to offer any detailed advice.

Regards,
Chris B.
(ps Nice jeans.gif)