POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random name statistics : Re: Random name statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random name statistics
From: Warp
Date: 30 Oct 2009 07:43:21
Message: <4aead159@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson <fe79}--at--{yahoo}--dot--{com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:04:48 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> >
> >   Three children are forcefully removed from their parents because one of
> > the children was named in a certain way? Where are the human rights
> > commissions?

> All of the children had Nazi-related names. Also, "Heath reportedly denies
> the Holocaust and their home is decorated with swastikas".

  I'm not questioning the rationality of the act. I'm questioning its
legality and constitutionality.

  Is there a codified law in the United States which states that if
parents have the "wrong" political opinion, decorate their home with
the "wrong" symbols and name their children with the "wrong" names,
it's ok to take the children away?

  If the answer is no, then no matter how horrible the situation might be,
taking the children away is illegal, unconstitutional and against basic
human rights.

  In a free, constitutional country you cannot be punished because of
having the wrong political opinions or decorating your home with the
wrong symbols. That's the whole point in freedom. When you start having
Orwellian thought crimes (either de jure or, as seems to be in this case,
de facto), you are eroding the very foundation of constitutional freedom
of opinion.

  This can also very quickly become a bad double standard: People who have
the "wrong" opinions are punished, for political reasons, while other people
are not, even though the actual *harm* being done might be same (or even
worse with some people who are not punished because the punishment would be
politically incorrect).

  For example, if some extremist muslim participates in protest marches
advocating the destruction of the western world and praising terrorism,
does the police go and take his children away? No, because that would be
politically incorrect. In this case freedom of opinion and expression
applies over the mental health of the children.

  If someone has nazi opinions and nazi symbols all over their home, does
the polic go and take his children away? It seems that yes. In this case
punishing people with nazi ideology is not politically incorrect and thus
acceptable.

  That's a double standard.

--
                                                          - Warp