POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Opensuse 11 Live CD problem? : Re: Opensuse 11 Live CD problem? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opensuse 11 Live CD problem?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 Oct 2009 01:01:23
Message: <4aea7323@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:04:11 +0100, TC wrote:

> I was looking for a 64-bit Linux live cd (or dvd) - a dvd bootable linux
> that can access my windows ntfs volumes but does not make any changes to
> hdd (like, e.g, repartition the disk).
>
> Something like knoppix but for 64-bit intel pc. I'd like to try some
> 64-bit Linux programs vs. 32 bit Windows XP.
>
> Now, is the opensuse 11 live cd what I am looking for? Or does one have
> to boot from live-cd and then install linux?
>
> Then, with opensuse there seems to be a problem with changes to BIOS. If
> it is just the bios date-time that is changed - no problem. But if the
> cd should manipulate the frequency/timings of cpu and memory - ouch! I
> cannot imagine it does, but safe is safe, so I'll ask here before I have
> to go hunting for the reset-bios jumper ;-)
>
> Has anybody here experience with the live-cd?
>
> http://www.marco.isrelated.com/?p=67
>
> Since I am not much into linux I'd appreciate any help / suggestions.

openSUSE 11.1 and 11.2 RC (which is in final testing now) should include
ntfs-3g, so should be able to mount the NTFS partitions without a problem.

I'm not aware of the Live media doing anything to fiddle with BIOSes -
would be too many permutations and versions of bioses to get it right
enough of the time to make it worthwhile.

With the live media, everything runs of the media - no need to perform an
installation.  The media is primarily to permit a user wanting to "test
drive" Linux to see some of the features/functionality and to ensure
system compatibility prior to installation.

Jim (openSUSE Forums Moderator & Novell employee)