POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 2012 : Re: 2012 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2012
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 29 Oct 2009 17:59:38
Message: <4aea104a$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Amazing how far one can go just to counter a blockbuster flick made to
> capitalize on a recent urban legend... religion, philosophy,
> psychosocial analysis...

True. Its only one movie, well.. except for the dozens of Discovery
Channel non-specials, shows like Ghosthunters, etc.. Oh yes.. And, when
do you ever see something, "based on the true story", where "true" in
this context means, "we actually bought someone's story", and, "based
on", means, "we didn't think it had enough stupid BS in it, so we
rewrote half of it, to make it even dumber." And, that is without even
getting to the fact that most books these things are based on *fail* to
make the distinction that they are "based" on someone else's story, or,
if they do, they already spent months embellishing the absurd stuff
someone told them, so it would sell as a book.

That problem isn't the movie. It looks like its going to be a real
interesting romp into a silly idea, with lots of stuff getting
devastated, like everything else the guy films. The issue is that its
being promoted to people who have more in common with the aliens of
"Space Quest", who thought the "documentary" about people lost on
"Gilligan's Island" was terribly, terribly sad. lol Some of us would
like to at least **attempt** to live in a word with a few less mental
patients.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {