POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geek fail : Re: Geek fail Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geek fail
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Oct 2009 11:26:47
Message: <4ae9b437$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Chambers wrote:
>>> Look up Hauppage.  They've got HDMI capture cards.
>>
>> Make sure you buy it from someplace you can return it to. I went
>> through three before I just gave up.
>>

> Was it faulty cards, buggy software, or simply a case of them not quite
> doing what you thought they did?

Hard to say. The whole ecosystem is still a mess, really.

The first one would see the HDTV channels, but only with its own software.
If I gave it to media center, it would see either SDTV or HDTV but wouldn't
switch between.

The second actually came with a media center remote and said it works with
media center, but would only pick up HDTV sometimes and SDTV never, and
since half my channels are SDTV that was no good. Each time I tried
installing it, something different would happen.

The third claimed it works with x64 but didn't actually have any drivers
available, and I'm not about to start futzing with the registry to turn off
driver signing to support a capture card.

I suspect part of the problem is that none of the cards out there are really
ready to (a) talk to Vista media center and (b) deal with unencrypted HDTV
over cable. Probably if I was using an antenna it might have worked better.

I understand the Win7 MC software is much better with HD tuners, tho. Maybe
when I upgrade...

For now, everything I get HD I also get SD, so I can still record stuff if I
want.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)