POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Oct 2009 06:27:26
Message: <4ae81c8e@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> But I reserve the right to continue to be irked when I have to take my
>> beautiful code and litter it with statements to turn the numbers
>> backwards at the start,
>
> If you had them round the right way to start with you wouldn't need to
> litter your code with anything :-P

Take the MD5 hash kernel, for example. Essentially you're supposed to
load a word of data from the current block and mix it into the hash state.

Except for the minor detail that you can't just *load* it, you have to
turn it backwards first, or you'll get the "wrong" answer (i.e., not the
answer listed in the MD5 spec). It's not that the data you're trying to
hash is backwards, it's just that MD5 is defined to operate backwards.
Except, of course, that working completely backwards would be
comparatively simple; no, MD5 is defined to work on words forwards, but
each word must be written backwards. *sigh*