POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Linux Binary 3.6 - adding photons{} block makes scene go 100% black? : Re: Linux Binary 3.6 - adding photons{} block makes scene go 100% black? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:11:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Binary 3.6 - adding photons{} block makes scene go 100% black?
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 28 Oct 2009 02:27:08
Message: <4ae7e43c@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I've got a simple scene with photons that renders fine in Windows official
> 3.6 and Windows Megapov 1.2.1.
>
> However, trying to render it with Linux official 3.6.1 binary or
> Linux "Official" Megapov 1.2.1 always results in a completely black
> output.

I've traced this to the following...

I have a blob in the scene, and this has some transparency in its textures:

sphere { <blobfield_x,blobfield_y,z_trans>, .75, 0.8
                                        texture{
                                                #if (color_count = 1)
                                                        #ifdef (final)
                                                                pigment
{color Red transmit 0.375}
                                                        #else
                                                                pigment
{color Red}
                                                        #end

                                                #end

                                                #if (color_count = 2)
                                                        #ifdef (final)
                                                                pigment
{color Coral transmit 0.375}
                                                        #else
                                                                pigment
{color Coral}
                                                        #end
                                                #end

                                                #if (color_count = 3)
                                                        #ifdef (final)
                                                                pigment
{color Firebrick transmit 0.375}
                                                        #else
                                                                pigment
{color Firebrick}
                                                        #end
                                                #end

                                                #ifdef (final)
                                                        finish
                                                        {
                                                               ambient 0.1
                                                               diffuse 0.8
                                                               reflection
                                                                 {
                                                                   0.35 ,
0.5
                                                                     fresnel
on
                                                                     falloff
1.15

exponent 1.05

metallic 1.25
                                                                 }
                                                        }
                                                #end

I've definitely established, at least on my setup, that if, for the sphere
elements, transparency is increased beyond 0.399999, along with photons, in
either Linux megapov or Linux Povray, it immediately turns the entire
scene's output to completely black...

Anybody got any idea? I've posted the full source for the scene in the
p.b.scene-files forum, under the same title as above. Could this be a bug?

Can anybody help?

Thanks!
--
Stefan Viljoen