POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Captain Jack
Date: 27 Oct 2009 16:48:29
Message: <4ae75c9d$1@news.povray.org>
news:4ae75b04@news.povray.org...
> I.e., in relational database theory, a join gives you each row of the
> first table concatenated with each row of the second table. Then you
> select the rows where the keys are equal, then you project over the rows
> you actually want. Those are the three basic reading operations in
> relational theory. The only reason "inner join" and "outer join" exist is
> that people don't want to actually normalize their databases the way that
> works well with relational theory.
>
> SQL kind of weirds up the syntax some, but that doesn't mean you should
> use an entirely different (and incorrect) word for the operation. :-) If
> you're going to ask for a different word, ask for one that doesn't mean
> something wrong. :-)

I do sometimes miss the old days where I had a separate disk file for every
type of data, multiple record formats with different numbers of fields and
types of data in every file, even more separate files with indexing
information that had to be kept in sync by the same code that acted as the
application front end, manual locking of records and files and--

Hmm... actually, I don't think I miss that at all, come to think of it.

:D