POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Captain Jack
Date: 27 Oct 2009 14:10:37
Message: <4ae7379d$1@news.povray.org>
news:4ae73483@news.povray.org...
>> Instead of JOIN I would have used INTERSECT.
>
> Join is closer to a union than an intersection. It's actually a cartesian
> product. If you join a 3-row table to a 5-row table, you get a 15-row
> table.

Technically, in T-SQL, that would be a CROSS JOIN. JOIN all by itself
defaults to a LEFT INNER JOIN, for which the results could vary. In fact,
JOIN all by itself wouldn't return any rows at all in that example if there
weren't any matchs in the 5 row table.

Personally, I don't much care what the command names are in any language;
I've always got one or two commands slipping away from me (the other day,
POV kept giving me an error on the "cube" primitive, which I spent a good
ten minutes on before remembering it's "box"... *sigh*)

I do wish T-SQL had better looping and some kind of sub-routine structure
within stored procedures. I spend a lot of time avoiding doing anything
complicated in it, unless there's some painfully urgent need to have
execution happen on the server instead of out at the client end.