POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 27 Oct 2009 14:06:09
Message: <4ae73691$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> SharkD wrote:
>> It's also the choice of words that are used for some of the commands
>> that irks me.
>
> That's because you're thinking procedurally instead of declaritively.

Indeed.

Although it still annoys me that the Haskell standard function for
selecting elements of a list is called "filter", not "select". The
number of times I've done something like

   filter invalid_item my_list

when in fact I should have done

   filter (not . invalid_item) my_list

is just infuriating...

Smalltalk did it right. They had "select" and "reject". Makes it quite
clear...

> That said, SQL is indeed one of those languages for which I regularly
> have to look up the syntax even for simple stuff. :-)

Heh, do you have any idea how many commands Oracle has that have syntax like

   ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN BACKUP;
   ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
   ALTER SYSTEM RESETLOGS;
   etc.

??

The manual has these huge, multi-page railroad diagrams to explain the
syntax. Sadly, nobody thought to write down WHAT THE SYNTAX *MEANS*!! >_<

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/