POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Linux Binary 3.6 - adding photons{} block makes scene go 100% black? : Re: Linux Binary 3.6 - adding photons{} block makes scene go 100% black? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Binary 3.6 - adding photons{} block makes scene go 100% black?
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 27 Oct 2009 08:16:35
Message: <4ae6e4a2@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Stefan Viljoen schrieb:
>
>> I've got a simple scene with photons that renders fine in Windows
>> official 3.6 and Windows Megapov 1.2.1.
>>
>> However, trying to render it with Linux official 3.6.1 binary or
>> Linux "Official" Megapov 1.2.1 always results in a completely black
>> output.

>> Anybody else heard of this?
>
> That's perfectly new to me. I've run both POV-Ray 3.6.1 and MegaPOV
> 1.2.1 on both Windows and Linux with various photons scenes, and never
> seen such effects. Did you try the photons sample scenes?

Nope, good point, I'll try one of the sample scenes in Linux.

> Did you make sure the default quality settings are high enough? Maybe
> you have set "+Q5" (or "Quality=5", or even lower value) in povray.ini
> or some such. (Then again, such a low quality setting should have other
> suspicious effects.)

That's the thing - once I got the black output, I dropped the quality to 0.
Immediately objects showed up in the scene. Then I step by step increased
the quality setting - at +Q4 the scene goes completely black... wonder what
it could be?

Thanks for the reply!
--
Stefan Viljoen