POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 2012 : Re: 2012 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2012
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Oct 2009 22:48:07
Message: <4ae50de7$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> I don't think I'm writing 'in general' not 'every single person &
> entity', OF COURSE there are people that do the wrong thing and
> misuses/betrays what ever was trusted to them, but the general
> philosophy of organizing ourselves in governments and institutions, and
> in turn in our homes and our lives is all for good, all for love to
> ourselves, all based on the truth (at least originally), tendency to
> good in general, at least there are people that try to be as good as
> they can.

Sure. But when you talk about "every government" you're still
overgeneralizing. You're taking how you want the world to be, saying "this
is how it is, any any variance is unimportant."  I, on the other hand, find
the variance from what we want to be the important part to concentrate upon,
as that's the only way to improve the world.

> I just knew you were going to go... but, there are people that don't
> comply with this so therefore you're completely wrong, etc. you just me
> to be always wrong since I'm a God believer...

Not at all. You can be entirely wrong about religion without believing in
any of them either. Indeed, when atheists say "every religion" and then go
on to refer to "God, the creator of the universe", I correct them also. It's
far from every relgion where there was one god that created the universe.

> you're so biased about denying everything religious,

I do not deny everything religious. In this particular conversation, I'm
simply denying that there is one blanket commandment from God that applies
to every religion regardless of how many Gods they have or don't have.

> that you don't see what everyone on a religion is saying to
> you, OPEN YOUR EYES, there are a spiritual world out there maybe all
> religious are wrong but they're based on sort of spiritual base that you
> comfortably try to deny, but OK, I leave you alone.

What makes you think I'm not "spiritual"? What makes you think I'm not
hearing, understanding, and even agreeing with you about how people should
behave? What makes you think I don't love my neighbor? Simply because I deny
that you should be able to impose that on others, or that there's some giant
cosmological intelligence that wants it that way?

The very fact that you don't think someone can be loving and spiritual
without God is exactly the fact I'm saying you have wrong when you claim
every religion is based on God's love, including the host of religions where
there isn't even a god.

Really, I don't think you have any idea what I believe or don't. You've said
what you believe, but I've never told you any details of what I believe.

I don't disagree with you in terms of being nice to others etc. I am just
disagreeing that when you say "every government" it really means what you
say, and I am disagreeing that when you say "every religion's God wants you
to love people", that's just plain factually incorrect regardless of how you
try to spin it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)