POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Oct 2009 22:45:07
Message: <4ae50d33$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Conversely, I'm told Perl's regex handling is supposed to be quite fast...
>
>> I'd guess .NET is faster, if only because it compiles the regex into machine
>> code, rather than interpret it.
>
>   I think that the concept of "interpreting" might be a bit blurred here.
> I assume that perl constructs a state machine from the regexp and then does
> the matching against it. How much that is "interpreting"... Hard to say.

Yeah. .NET does the same thing, then actually generates custom machine code
to run through the state machine.  As in, if you compile enough different
regular expressions, you'll eventually run out of code space, because the
compiler can't GC machine code you've generated.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)