POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming langauges : Re: Programming langauges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming langauges
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Oct 2009 16:20:07
Message: <4ae4b2f7$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> like C++ being a superior performer to Java, but Java of course is a
> runtime language so it's not a fair comparison.

Plus, Java is compiled, and indeed, some JVMs will recompile the code
multiple times during its execution to get it to go faster. Some non-VM
languages also let you feed in profile information to the compiler to get it
to recompile better.  Some hardware has instructions specifically to support
some languages. Pretty much everyone has floating point hardware these days,
but it used to be quite common to have support for printing, formatting
numbers, moving blocks of variables, and the other sorts of stuff the COBOL
did a lot of that wasn't fast enough in the old hardware.

So, no. They're not all the same in performance, and they aren't even all
the same in terms of capabilities.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)