POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 2012 : Re: 2012 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2012
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Oct 2009 14:44:19
Message: <4ae49c83$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> take the good and the truth and apply it to our life for constructive
>> benefice which is basically what religions, governments and society in
>> general strives for, right?
>
> This is again an overgeneralization. Clearly Mugabe isn't running a
> government which strives for good and truth. You could probably go
> through history and list dozens if not hundreds of governments that
> don't even strive for the welfare of their citizens let alone goodness
> and truth.
>
> You overgeneralize too much, which is one of the fatal flaws of monotheism.

It also depends on your definitions of "goodness" and "truth". Many
consider "goodness" to mean, "Upholding the natural order of their gods
world.", and "truth" to be, "The truth of what this order is." The
leader of the wackos that Bush & Co. sent to Iraq to "help" us,
Blackwater, literally believes that this "truth" is that some people
really do have a divine right to rule, that poor people are poor because
god made them that way, and that the natural order of things, and thus
the greatest "goodness" is to kill anyone that won't convert to
Christianity, then create a Utopia which follows the above pattern. A
significant number of the right wing, who are apposed to health care
reform, have stated similar beliefs, if not quite so empirial in nature.
They quite literally think that, if you can't afford health care, its
because god wants you sick and dying. As quite a few people have stated,
the only difference between radical Christianity and radical Islam is
one less prophet, and the Christians being too chicken shit to blow
themselves up for the cause.

Kind of one of the problems with the term "good". Believers think it
comes from god, and so, what ever they think god thinks is good, must
be, whether that is helping other people, at their own expense, or
making themselves rich, at everyone else's expense. "Truth" is an even
bigger mess, since, for most believers, what ever "truth(s)" their
religion teaches automatically trumps ***everything*** else, including
facts. Like the wacko a while back that decided the most effective
solution to his cities drought problem was to "pray" for rain that a)
hasn't fallen outside of expected amounts, and b) was past do to fall
anyway, but insists, along with a lot of other fools there, that his
prayers where answered. Almost reminds me of a scene near the end of the
movie "Year One"... Ooh! It rained for 30 seconds, I must be the chosen one!

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {